[rollei_list] Re: Large Format film availability

  • From: "Jeff Kelley" <jlkphoto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 09:43:19 -0700

I guarantee the claims are marketing hype.  I worked for years at Sony as an
Application Engineer and Software Engineer during the beginning days of
CDROM.  This was when the first 1X burners were tens of thousands of dollars
and the gold blanks were $25 to $35 EACH.  They kept the blanks locked in
a metal cabinet & kept close tabs on them ;)

I've had state of the art, lab quality CDs that were rated at 100 years +
die in less than 3 years.  I've seen the same quality discs unreadable on a
second machine within seconds of burning them.  And so on....

CDROMS and DVD media are NOT archival backups.  Period.

Jeff