[rollei_list] Large Format film availability

  • From: Aaron Reece <oboeaaron@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 11:51:36 -0400

On Apr 30, 2008, at 10:08 AM, Don Quixote wrote:

I listened to a former head of photography at the Museum of Natural History tell me that if she was buying large format today she wouldn't purchase a 5x7 camera. She doesn't think film will be in available in that size soon

I doubt it. Film is still available in 11x14, 7x17, 12x20, and 20x24 sizes if one knows where to look. If manufacturers can still find a market for those sizes, I imagine that the relatively pedestrian 5x7 format will be well-supplied for some time as well. However, the choice of film stock (esp. color) is already comparatively limited in those formats, so depending on her needs this may make sense. Windmills, Ho!

-Sancho Panza

(Aaron Reece)
Oswego, NY, USA