[rollei_list] Re: LTM and Contax RF Film Requirements

  • From: Marc James Small <msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 18:19:15 -0400

At 02:42 PM 4/21/06 -0700, Richard Knoppow wrote:

>   I responded too soon before. By short tongue I think you
>mean one about one inch long. The Leica tongue is about 4
>inches. I think your date for discontinuance of the long
>tongue is a bit soon, I certainly got commercial loads with
>them well after 1983. However, I use nearly all bulk loaded
>35mm film so I may not be current on commercial loads.
>   In any case, I agree that its very easy to cut the long
>tongue. I prefer scissors to a knife but either will do. My
>IIIC has the diagram on the bottom of the camera box under
>the bottom cover.
>   A thought:  Andreas Feninger wrote somewhere that he used
>a Contax because the Leica always seemed so delicate to him.
>Curious because the Leica screw mount is actually a pretty
>rugged camera and quite strongly built.

Thanks, Richard.  Two points.

First, I use the SCISSORS on my Siwiss Army Knife to trim the film, not the
razor-sharp knife blade.  Argh!  Both versions, Wengner and Victinox, have
scissors.  Buy one.  You will love its utiltiy.

Second, and more seriously, Feninger simply repeated the mantra of the
time.  From the introduction of the Contax II, the hard guys whomped over
to the Contax.  For example, Capa used a Leica in Spain but had converted
to a Contax by 1940 and took a Contax ashore with him at Normandy.  The
successful 1953 Everest Expedition had Contax II and III cameras as its
norm though the magificent peak pcitures were shot on a 1937 Retina with a
CZJ Tessar but then, why not?

Leitz always made its cameras to be eternally adjustable.  That guarenteed
that something was always out of whack.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!