[rollei_list] Re: LTM and Contax RF Film Requirements

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 14:42:33 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Marc James Small" <msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, April 21, 2006 2:27 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] LTM and Contax RF Film Requirements

At 02:13 PM 4/21/06 -0700, Richard Knoppow wrote:

Commercial loads come with the leader cut for Leica
and other cameras. The first Contax required a centered
tongue but I don't think the II and later versions did.
While Leitz made a nice jig for cutting the tongue its
really only necessary to cut a straight sided tapered
section about three frames long. The purpose is to clear the
sprocket that works the film metering.

Hmm. Richard, no commercial film has been produced with a long leader
since around 1983, and most manufacturers starting turning to a short
leader decades earlier. The Leitz and Contax film-cutting guides were for
bulk loads, of course: when you buy film in 30m or 100 foot rolls or the
like, then you may well need a template. These were nnot originally
intended for use on packaged short rolls of 36 exposures or so.

I responded too soon before. By short tongue I think you mean one about one inch long. The Leica tongue is about 4 inches. I think your date for discontinuance of the long tongue is a bit soon, I certainly got commercial loads with them well after 1983. However, I use nearly all bulk loaded 35mm film so I may not be current on commercial loads.
In any case, I agree that its very easy to cut the long tongue. I prefer scissors to a knife but either will do. My IIIC has the diagram on the bottom of the camera box under the bottom cover.
A thought: Andreas Feninger wrote somewhere that he used a Contax because the Leica always seemed so delicate to him. Curious because the Leica screw mount is actually a pretty rugged camera and quite strongly built.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx