[rollei_list] LTM and Contax RF Film Requirements

  • From: Marc James Small <msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 17:27:31 -0400

At 02:13 PM 4/21/06 -0700, Richard Knoppow wrote:

>Commercial loads come with the leader cut for Leica
>and other cameras. The first Contax required a centered
>tongue but I don't think the II and later versions did.
>   While Leitz made a nice jig for cutting the tongue its
>really only necessary to cut a straight sided tapered
>section about three frames long. The purpose is to clear the
>sprocket that works the film metering.

Hmm.  Richard, no commercial film has been produced with a long leader
since around 1983, and most manufacturers starting turning to a short
leader decades earlier.  The Leitz and Contax film-cutting guides were for
bulk loads, of course:  when you buy film in 30m or 100 foot rolls or the
like, then you may well need a template.  These were nnot originally
intended for use on packaged short rolls of 36 exposures or so.

I haven't a clue as to your comment on the Contax I.  Mine is a Version 7,
a very late one, and it does not require any sort of "centered tongue" but
it is possible that earlier ones did.  I do not recall that my Prewar Zeiss
Ikon cassettes require such but these are packed up for the move and are
not readily at hand for checking, and you might well be correct.  I just do
not recall that this was the case.,

The long Leitz leader was required, according the Leitz factory, to avoid
film chips getting into the guts of the Leica shutter.  While Tom
Abrahamson vehemently denies that he has ever found this to be a problem,
other repair dudes dissent and feel that trimming the leader leads to
shutterr longevity.  Me?  I trim the leader and do so in a matter of
seconds, thanks to Wenger or Victorinox, as the knife at hand might be.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!