[rollei_list] Re: LIst and Digital and Storage

  • From: Slobodan Dimitrov <s.dimitrov@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 11:38:08 -0800

While it may pay for itself over time, it won't pay for your time
unless you're really very careful with billing.
Try to process 2000 digital images, as opposed to 40 rolls of chromes.
The chromes can be done in a couple of hours, while your doing
something else. The digital, ball and chain to the computer, is a
different story.
It's a false saving when one's time is placed into the equation.
S. Dimitrov

On Feb 10, 2005, at 11:26 AM, Peter K. wrote:

> Yes John, sad to say but people are seeing the digital cameras as
> something that will pay for themselves over time. They like the
> instant "polaroid-like" images they can view on their PC and email to
> relatives. The only issue they are not seeing is storage, and long
> term storage is volatile unless you store CDs and DVDs correctly. What
> I mean by this is CD-Rs have a life expectancy of 7-10 years, less if
> stored improperly much more if stored properly in dark sleeves inside
> a light tight book. Much like Ektachrome slides.
> As for me, I still like that 6x6cm Rollei transparency or negative
> although I am contemplating an EOS 20D to replace my EOS-3 film SLR.
>
> Peter K
>

> On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 10:03:20 -0900, John Lehman <al7jj@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 23:13:39 -0800 (GMT-08:00)Richard Knoppow wrote in
>>> I am guessing here but I think that about five people
>>> account for half the traffic.
>> =20
>> I would have guessed that two accounted for more than half (almost
>> none
>> Rollei-related) and that five accounted for about 75% ;-)  The rest of
>> us probably have little to say (at least on this forum) about current
>> events and perpetual motion machines :-)
>> =20
>> FWIW, on a recent trip to Bangkok for the Asia Pacific Advanced
>> Networking meeting, my Rollei 35 was the only film camera I saw anyone
>> use at either the professional or the tourist locations :-(
>> =20
>> --
>> John Lehman, College Alaska
>> =20