[rollei_list] Re: Krikor and his amazing sticking self-timer

  • From: "Jeff Kelley" <thocker@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 14:31:27 -0700

I'd heard and read nothing but good reports about Krikor and that's why I used him.

I was NOT a happy camper when the timer began to stick. That's why I called him. Krikor's first statement to me was something about how easy it is to break the self timer. When I explained that it worked if I kept flicking the button, he told me it had probably been sitting too long.

This was perhaps 4 months after the CLA. He then told me I should be cycling the thing regularly. Every couple weeks....

BTW, the self-timer on this camera is not a lever, it is a sliding, spring-loaded button above and right of the viewing lens when looking at the front of the camera.

I'm not getting warm & fuzzy vibes from this. If Krikor is really working too fast and loose on a $325 CLA, then I'm not sending it back to him. He lost a paying customer and now some of the shrinking community of Rolleiflex customers are hearing the story.

Harry Fleenor or another technician will get my money next time, I think.

This is my first Rolleiflex and my first experience with Krikor.

-Jeff-

Forgive me if this sounds blunt but a $325 overhaul should not be done so quickly that basic services (lubing/tightening the self timer) should be overlooked... If it were me, I'd not be a happy camper... JMO...

Eric Goldstein

---

On 7/17/06, Craig Roberts <crgrbrts@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Jeff,

I've had several Rolleis overhauled by Krikor.  He's an excellent
technician and he works fast.  That's good -- but he occasionally works
TOO fast.  For instance, my 2.8E Xenotar came back from him with the
very same problem yours exhibits.  After fiddling a bit, I discovered
that he had failed to fully tighten the external self timer lever screw
and it worked its way loose after a few excursions. I re-aligned the
lever, tightened the screw and cured the problem in about six,
non-invasive seconds.

Of course, this may not be the case with your camera, but it might
something just as simple and easy to fix yourself.

Good luck,

Craig
Washington, DC