[rollei_list] Re: Kodak selling its film & paper divisions

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 17:41:49 -0500

At 02:18 PM 8/24/2012, you wrote:

My rhetorical question is, could this have been avoided if Kodak took aggressive, creative action 10 years ago and adopted a new strategy? Sounds a lot like RIM, the Blackberry maker.

What options should they have considered?

My guess is that the did consider many options, based on my interaction with them in developing commercial, (non-consumer) products, but none would have proven viable since their technology was well known to the competition and the market for film and paper had gone below what was needed to feed their factories. All they had left was the brand, which clearly was well know.

Clearly they could manufacture and sell ink-jet papers, but there is so little specialized technology in that product area that Kodak would not have had a competitive edge.

I heard, and this is only hearsay, that a couple of years ago Kodak was a leading manufacturer of digital camera sensor arrays. Does anyone know whether that is true or just a rumor?

The products I worked on, microfiche and microfilm generation, storage and retrieval, have replaced by computer systems.

Same holds for Xerox and Polaroid.

DAW