[rollei_list] Re: 'Kodak, Don't Take My Kodachrome'

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 13:10:42 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Jensen" <jwjensen356@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, May 31, 2005 12:28 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] 'Kodak, Don't Take My Kodachrome'

> Re Super-8 Kodachrome from today's New York Times:
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/31/movies/31koda.html?oref=login
>
> (I hope the link works)
>
> John
  Worked for me but I am a registered user of the NYT site.
Others may have to register (free).
  A curios story. The facts are probably all correct but it
contains language such as:

"Kodachrome Super 8 became a favorite thanks to the film's
complex emulsion, the gelatinous solution that helps capture
an image. It requires an elaborate developing process but
produces striking, unique colors and unparalleled archival
virtues, making it a favorite with Super 8 artists."

   Written by someone who has no idea how any film works let
alone Kodachrome. Actually, Kodachrome has a simpler
structure than chromogenic films. The problem for Kodak is
the very complex process which also requires the use of some
environmentally unfriendly chemicals.
   The article also refers to Kodachrome as having "lurid"
color. Of course it doesn't. That may have been true for
1940's Kodachrome but the current stuff is pretty lifelike.
The archival properties are well known. Kodachrome has
excellent dark storage life but is inferior to Ektachrome
for resisting the fading caused by exposure to the light in
projectors.
   Anyway, perhaps they have shamed Kodak into continuing to
make the stuff and process it.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA