[rollei_list] Re: ...Kodachromes taken 50 years ago "Processed by Technicolor R"

  • From: Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2014 15:44:29 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

     I found a note, I think in the Bulletin of the Technical Committee of the
Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (not sure I have that title
correct) that Technicolor used special low-contrast Kodachrome for some
difficult location photography.  I believe some of the exterior shots in
"Shane" were made on special Kodachrome and the printing matrices made from
that. I don't have easy access to the archive of the Bulletin, frustrating
since it has quite a lot of detailed information on the process by which
various Hollywood feature pictures were made and also gives full credits for
camera and sound crews.  Kodak offered low-contrast Kodachrome in 16mm for
original photography where the film was to be duplicated. This was quite
commonly used for industrial and educational pictures before color
negative-positive processes became available.  Technicolor made IB prints in
16mm as well as 35mm so probably printed from this film.  Technicolor wanted to
get rid of the color-separation cameras for some time because they were large
and clumsy and the process difficult.  They experimented with various
multi-layer films but did not drop the three-color cameras until Kodak came out
with Eastman Color Negative. There is a noticeable difference in the color
rendition of pictures made with the three-color cameras and ECN.   The overall
quality of the IB prints fell off a lot as the process was speeded up and other
changes made in order to be competitive with newer processes.  I was able to
see original issue Technicolor prints going back to their two-color process,
mostly from the UCLA archive.  These are no longer projectable due to the
degradation of the nitrate film base.

--
Richard Knoppow
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx