[rollei_list] Re: Kodachrome.. shines over ??

  • From: Emmanuel Bigler <Emmanuel.Bigler@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2009 09:39:45 +0100

chatanooga@xxxxxxxxx a écrit :
Emmanuel
Chacun a son gout and all that but do you feel there are some areas where K'chrome shines over the more modern slide films?
rgds
Chat

Oops ! sorry to answer late !

>> do you  feel there are some areas
>> where K'chrome  shines  over the more modern slide films?

Frankly, no.
I was very happy with Kodachrome 25 which I preferred to kodachrome 64.
I'll probably stick to Kodachrome 64, the last of the proecess K-14 mohicans in 135 because - I do not care for the 10-days processing delay, I've been trined ti this for 30 years ;-) - I have no longer any E6 lab in town but I understand the arguments of those who had a one-hour E6 service handy !! - the price of K-64 processed-paid is now very attractive. I just sent today 2 rolls of K-64 to Lausanne, grouping them by 2 makes a postage charges down to to 0.8 euro (1.6/2) per roll. - dark storage life and zero maintenance of K-64 for the family album are certainly a major reason... I'm conservative, you know ;-) (at least on the photographic side ;-))

20 years ago, Fuji slides were not very attractive to me; Whta should I say ? Too green-ish ? So after one roll I continued with Kodachrome 25. I loosely followed the improvements and harsh competitions beyween Big Green and Big yellow. But as an Euro-Patriot in 120 rolls I used Agfachrome regularly although its grain was not as tiny as provia's.

There is still some stock avaible of Agfachrome 200 sold by Maco-Rollei.

I tried a first 120 roll of Fuji Velvia in 1990 and found it too red and too saturated.. and never tried it again ! Now that it is back again, I should try some day ;-)
However I am very happy in 120 with Fuji provia 100F and Astia 100.
Kodak E-100 G is really fine but my usual film sources sell it at a higher price than Fuji Provia 100.

So as a summary : I'm conservative ;-)

--
Emmanuel