[rollei_list] Re: Kalart Focuspot for Rollei

  • From: Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 00:16:19 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

-----Original Message-----

     A laser pointer should work fine. The Focuspot has a bulb from a pencil
flash with a lens in the tip. A laser does not need the lens.
     The mirror can be replaced but I don't know if the material is still
available. I got mine from Edmund Scientific but they are now splt into two
companies. There are instructions on the Graflex.org site with the Edmund part
number but these are not such good instructions. They say to break out the old
mirror. Its not necessary. The mirror is held in place with a waxy glue which
can be removed with a solvent like Acetone. I don't know for certain what the
original cement was but even airplane glue will work for remounting. The half
silvered mirror material is cut with a carbide scribe. Its hard to tell the
coated side from the plain glass side but it can be done. The  reflection from
the uncoated side will be weaker than the front reflection when the coating is
in front because the light must pass through the coating twice. The coated side
should face the eyepiece.
     For some reason weak mirrors are common on certain Kalarts and not others.
     The oldest ones also have a mirror at the bottom rather than a prism. I
have not heard of problems with these.
     The Kalart has two undocumented adjustments. One is a stop screw for the
armature that carries the moving prism, located at the back near the base of
the eyepiece. The other is an infinity setting on the prism. Both were factory
settings but can be gotten back with a little fussing. If the infinity setting
for the prism is not correct the adjustments for distance never come in quite
right.
      Once you have the prism and the bed infinity stops right the distance
adjustments will come in over the entire range from infinity to four feet.
Actually, if working right, the thing should track down to its close focus
stop.
      There is also a problem with parallax for close distances. One needs a
double focus target, one cross hatch in line with the taking lens and another
for the rangefinder top lens. Kalart states in their patent that the thing was
never meant for close focusing but, nonetheless, it works pretty well there.

--
Richard Knoppow
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx