[rollei_list] Re: Just film - what to put in a time capsule...

  • From: Jan Decher <jan.decher@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 09:24:24 -0700

Mark, Doug et al.
Whether you preserve images for posterity has similar "meticulous"
challenges in both film and digital.  People who "naturally" archived their
negatives or slides with labels and in sleeves, perhaps even with a card
file or computer database will most likely also conscientiously back up
their RAW and JPEG files on a hard or tape drive, burn them on CD's and
transfer everything to new media as they emerge.

My grandfather's 6x4.5 Super Ikonta negatives could be a treasure trove of
information about life in Germany before and during WWII had he archived
and annotated them more carefully.  Many have already been thrown away or
they are in "anonymous" rolls rather than stored flat.

I do think that for future historians/archaeologists finding a box of old
negatives will be less challenging than finding old CD's or harddrives in
order to get to the information.
To put it differently:  If I had to decide about what type of image media
to put in the time capsule of a new building, for example, I would probably
go with some carefully printed b&w archival prints and the associated
negatives taken with my Rolleiflex IN ADDITION to a CD of digital color
photographs.
I don't loose any sleep over this question, however ;-)
Jan

=============
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
On 5/23/05 9:03 PM, "dnygr" <dnygr@xxxxxxxxxx> typed:
> I don't think it is far-fetched to say that we may be the last generation
>that
> will have a box of photos to pass on to future generations....
> Doug Nygren

I feel the direct opposite of what you're saying here to be true
My grandparents and parents threw away negatives because someone told them
you can just as easily make a print from a print....
I think the images we pass down digitally now.... will not be lost or made
too obsolete to open.
They will be in 100 percent perfect condition in the year 2525.
100 percent.  Sure a few people will screw up.
But a photo legacy now is a whole new deal digitally.
Digital has it's distractions but this aspect of it is a solid positive.
Mark Rabiner