[rollei_list] Re: Just Film

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 20:01:55 -0700

At 07:15 PM 5/23/2005, you wrote:
>  And referring to the last quote mentioned - not that long ago at a camera
>shop I frequent, the owner said under his breath after a flurry of selling
>digital cameras, "Film is really dead."  But I chimed in - "You know, people
>still buy paint brushes, canvas and oils..."  He concurred.
>
>Interesting article.
>
>Lloyd
It's clear that Kodak has announced their intention to go the digital way,
but until sensors with enough resolution and range of sensitivity come
along the X-ray is going to be film based.

Look at it another way, what doc is going to "read" a digital image?  Even
CT-scans and MRI's are, for the most part, read from film.

On the other hand there are some terrific software packages which present a
virtual 3D image of a CT scan or MRI, including artificial color for some
purposes.

If you are going to X-ray welding joints for a submarine, how will you
store them for the record without film?

Don Williams
La Jolla, CA