[rollei_list] Jerry Lehrer: I am baffled

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Lehrer, Gerald" <gerald.lehrer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,"Jerry Lehrer" <glehrer@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 10:48:46 -0400

At 09:34 AM 5/29/2008, Lehrer, Gerald wrote:

>My military history started in the ROTC where I "served" for four
>years.  I achieved the
>rank of Cadet Major.  I also spent three months at Fort Belvoir, where
>I learned what the Army was really like.  Just before graduation, I
>turned down the offer of commission in the regular Army, (since I was
>a "Distinguished Military Student").  The
>CO said that he would see that I was drafted within two weeks.  I said
>"F--- you, Colonel, I quit".  Walked out without shutting his door.
>Been a civilian ever since.
>
>There is no doubt in my mind that you are the fourth of the McCoy brothers.

Two points.

Your tale sounds sour. There has never been any connection at all between the US military and the Selective Service System and the two were quite hostile to each other, the Andrews Sisters and "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy of Company B" to the contrary. No US Army Colonel would have ever suggested that he would have you drafted and so forth as a threat, as your Draft Board would just have laughed at him had he tried to arrange this.

Much more likely was that your Colonel advised you, as he was legally required to do, that your name would be turned over as a loser to your Draft Board. I am certain that this happened. In general, Draft Boards felt that someone too stupid to make it through ROTC was probably of sub-normal intelligence and thus refused to call them up. This might have been what happened to you.

On the second point, I certainly do have Riley blood, from County Cavan, but I am equally certain that I have no McCoy blood, and your reference completely escapes me. Who are the first three of the McCoy brothers?

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!