[rollei_list] JOBO development tips

  • From: Thor Legvold <tlegvold@xxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, rolleiusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2013 15:01:05 +0100

Finally (!) got my Jobo up and running. It’s an ATL-1500.

Since it’s been ages (litereally) since I’ve developed any film myself, and
having Googled the net and gotten all sorts of differing and conflicting info,
I wanted to ask the reliable and informed people of these lists their
experiences.

I’m shooting Rollei Retro 100 (e.g. APX100), and the occasional Tri-X for low
light situations. Developing in Rodinal. I could mix up a batch of D76 and have
some old HC-110 as well, if needed (thinking specifically for the Tri-X, the
APX likes Rodinal).

I ran a test roll yesterday, and was halfway surprised that it actually turned
out ok. I ran Rodinal at 1:50 for 9 minutes, with a 5 minute prewash in water.

Does this sound about right, or too much, or too little?

Most info I’ve seen says between 11-13 minutes for manual development, some
places say subtract 15% for rotary, others say the prewash takes care of that
and you can use the same time as the data sheet indicates. The previous owner
had a home made label on it, he ran APX100 at 4 minutes in Rodinal 1:50
mixture. Sounds a bit short to me, but maybe my 9 minutes was too much?

Any suggestions?

It’s great to finally get back into the darkroom. I’ve got about 30 films
waiting to be developed, once I get everything dialed in correctly.

Thanks!
Thor