[rollei_list] Re: Intro and WTB [some OT and long]

  • From: Emilio Perea <eperea@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2005 10:16:42 -0500

On Sat, Sep 24, 2005 at 11:06:58AM +0100, FRANK DERNIE wrote:
> Nope,
> it says Planar 1:2 120mm
>
> I seem to remember reading about it now in the dim
> distant past. Can't find it in a web search these days
> because all the real search engines are gone and all
> we are left with is Google which just seems to give
> hits seem to be sellers who have the 120 makro and 110
> f2 for sale on the same page.

I have vivid memories of that lens from my college days.  I had just
bought one of those new Rollei 35s and picked up a fairly thick glossy
book on the SL66 from a camera store in New Orleans to start my wish
list.  In the beginning it was simple: one of everything, with two
bodies and several backs.  As reality approached, I narrowed down the
choice of lenses to the 50, 120 macro and 250.  The 120 f2 was always
going to be my primary lens.  I assume the choice of focal length was
due to the need to keep the front element outside the mount.  I tried
scaling more "standard" focal lengths to f2, but couldn't get them to
work.  As I remember, an 80 would have a huge amount of vignetting, a
100 would not fit inside the mount.

The f2 gave up the front mount of the other lenses (obviously) but I
thought it looked as "cool" as a 275 GTB...  Never did get either one,
but can testify that they both did exist. :-)