[rollei_list] Info on 117 Film

  • From: Thomas A.Frank <taf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Rollei <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 00:52:05 -0400

Hello All;

I received the following reply from a gentleman at the George Eastman House (KODAK's museum).

The 120 spool has 1 inch diameter flange; 117 has a 7/8 diameter flange. The
Six-20 spool also has a 7/8 inch diameter flange, but Six-20 uses a smaller
advance key, 1/16 x 1/4, while the 120 key measures 1/8 x 3/8. Your best bet
would be to turn down a 120 spool to fit; the older wood/metal ones would be
preferable over the plastic ones.

I've taken a few measurements, and found that on the KODAK 120 rolls I have on hand, the film/paper has a spooled diameter of .855 inches, which is slightly smaller than the .875 (7/8 inch) of the flange for the 117 roll. So I'm going to turn down a few rolls and give it a shot (pun intended) and see what happens. Conveniently, there is a groove on the flange at just about the right spot, so the lathe tool will be guided very nicely...almost like they meant for it to be possible.

I checked the paper backing - the center row of numbers line up with the little red window.

I can always unload in the darkroom if the takeup side doesn't spool tight enough to prevent light leaks.

I hope to have some photos from my 1929 Original to share in a few weeks, time permitting.

Tom Frank