[rollei_list] Re: I'm looking for a Rolleiwide. Is it a sensible pursuit?

  • From: Kirk Thompson <thompsonkirk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Rollei List <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 08:49:58 -0700

RolleiWides in good shape are awfully hard to find.  Many were used and beat
nearly to death by wedding photographers.
I looked for a year, using a 0.7 Mutar (for sale now!) in the meantime.  I
ended up buying the B&H demo of the brown FWs, when the black ones appeared.  A
friend recently paid the same amount for a minty Rolleiwide + accessories.
An older Rolleiwide is likely to cost $2500 + CLA + Maxwell screen, or perhaps
over $3K by the time you ship and insure it for purchase and servicing.

I agree with Eric that the old Distagons were just so-so lenses from the
standpoint of resolution.  The FW lens is perhaps better in coating/flare, but
not too different in resolution.  I don't mind this; it's actually part of the
'look' I'm looking for.
If you go to another camera (as Eric suggested) Mamiya 6 is blazing-sharp, but
Mamiya TLR WA lenses offer weak resolution.  IMO Rolleiwide/FW is Goldilocks'
best bowl of porridge.
Kirk