[rollei_list] Re: I'm back!

  • From: keith_w <keith_w@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 18:54:29 -0700

Jerry Lehrer wrote:

Kieth,

Naw!  What he really means is that the main wing spar has the web made of
aluminium and the spar caps are made of a different metal.  This leads to
bi-metallic corrosion in which the least anodic metal is corroded away.

Probably Don could explain it better, as I just had 3 Margaritas and might
have difficulty explaining metallurgical problems.

Glad to hear from Don again.

Jerry

Ahhh, galvanic corrosion. Of all people, you'd think airframe designers would have that covered from day one!

keith whaley

keith_w wrote:

Don Williams wrote:
[...]

Turns out that the main spar in those machines is bi-metal and they
self-destruct over time and have to be completely replaced for a safe
rebuild.
"Bi-metal?" Please explain, Don.

the only bi-metal I know is in a thermostat!  ;-)

keith

--- Rollei List