[rollei_list] If you have beautiful locations and beautiful women ...

  • From: Volker Muth <volker_muth@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 10:52:49 +0200

Filmmaker Brian de Palma on shooting his new film "Passion" on 35mm film

(…)

DANIEL KASMAN: Appropriately enough for this film, if you don't mind I'd like
to clear up my confusion as to whether this was shot digitally or not. I
initially thought it was when I saw it in Toronto, but I later read that it is
in fact shot in 35mm?

BRIAN DE PALMA: It is shot on 35.

KASMAN: It's getting so confusing now; things shot on film are projected
digitally, digitally shot movies are projected on film. Your movie, Redacted,
was a specifically digital project. Was shooting on 35mm something you wanted
for Passion from the start?

DE PALMA: If you have beautiful locations and beautiful women and you want to
light them correctly, you shoot on film. Digital hasn't really gotten to the
level of the classic, beautiful photography we remember from yesterday.

KASMAN: Was it nice to be back shooting on 35mm after the experience with
Redacted?

DE PALMA: Well, it's kind of strange to see them loading [film] magazines that
can only do takes of a certain length. You don't have that problem shooting
digitally. No—it's the lighting, you're shooting beautiful women, beautiful
locations, you have very stylized lighting. I haven't seen this done digitally
well yet, but I'm sure they'll get there.

KASMAN: It's a texture, too, I would think.

DE PALMA: Yes, but I'm sure they'll get that look with digital, in time.

(…)

Source:
http://mubi.com/notebook/posts/a-property-of-movies-a-conversation-with-brian-de-palma

Volker