[rollei_list] Re: If Capa ...with the Contax II

  • From: Robert Lilley <54moggie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 17:08:53 -0400

When it comes to Capa and others like him I tend to look at the total picture, not just the pictures he took. Capa had to sell himself to his backers, gather knowledge specific to his assignments, manage the logistics of getting where he was going, maintain the courage to just "be there" and deal with a multitude of personalities and field conditions, some friendly, some hostile - all this before he composed and took a singile picture. When I was a kid I remember a comic in Mad Magazine paying homage to great exploits of explorers and... the photographers behind the scenes. There was a cartoon of Hillary victoriously atop Mount Everest and the photographer, blue due to lack of oxygen with chattering teeth taking the happy snap - and never getting credit for having done the same thing Hillary did.

Rob
On Sep 25, 2009, at 4:01 PM, Peter K. wrote:

I think many make Capa out to be a god. Personally I never found his work that great just that in death he was bigger than in life. Just my two cents.

On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 12:20 PM, Robert Meier <robertmeier@xxxxxxxxx> wrote: He seemed to use both the Contaxes and the Rollei in their ever ready cases!

On Sep 25, 2009, at 11:22 AM, Carlos Manuel Freaza wrote:

This is a photograph about Robert Capa holding his Contax II camera on a captured Japanese tank during the China war in 1938:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/misteriosa-rosario/2166023177/sizes/o/

Carlos