[rollei_list] Re: INFO REQUEST

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 16:15:00 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jerry Lehrer" <jerryleh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, March 31, 2006 3:33 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: INFO REQUEST

Peter,

Waddaya mean "MIGHT predate the Exakta? Nat. Graf II-- 1934,
Exakta 66-- 1938.

I'm sure that Richard can fill you in on "why 620?", 'cause I'm too tired.

Jerry

Ihagee made 2 versions of the Exakta 66. The pre-war version had the film running horizontally, as in the Exakta Original and later 35mm models. This camera was made from about 1938. The second version had the film running vertically in interchangible backs a'la the Hassleblad, these were made from about 1954. The standard lens was an 80mm, f/2.8 Tessar. I remember that these had a bad reputation but I don't remember the details.
The Exakta's were much more sophisticated cameras than any of the Graflex models.
I don't know for certain about the use of 120 rather than 620 film in the National Graflex, but remember that F&S had been divested from Kodak for 7 years by the time this camera appeared. While F&S and Graflex continued to have a close association with Kodak it was not managed by Kodak.
Roll films on small diameter spools appear to have originated at Kodak (as had roll film altoghether for that matter). While the ostensible reason was to allow making cameras with shallower bodies I rather think the actual reason was to force camera owners into using Kodak film. I don't know how long it was until others began supplying roll film on the smaller spools but it must have been pretty quickly.
AFAIK, Kodak never made a roll film camera aimed at the professional. Even the Medalist was essentially a very high end (expensive) snapshot camera. Its possible the Ektra may have been aimed at a professional market but I don't think so. Both the Leica or Contax, its main competitors were mainly sold to amateurs although both were used by some pros. To me both the Medalist and Ektra show signs of not having been thought out very well either as to design or market. Too bad because both had outstanding lenses.
AFAIK, Ken Ruth is about the only tech who undertakes the modification of the Medalist. My understanding is that there is not much margin for error in machining the body to accept the larger spools.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx