[rollei_list] Re: INFO REQUEST

  • From: Peter J Nebergall <iusar4s@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 16:13:08 -0600

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 13:14:12 -0800 Jerry Lehrer <jerryleh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
writes:
> Peter,
>
> Yes, Ken Ruth is renowned for his quality work on quality cameras.
>
> Do you really think that a National Graflex II falls into that
> category?

Quality?

That the II is the oldest 120 SLR I have ever seen, and MIGHT predate the
Exakta 66 (will discuss that point of history with Miles Upton
(exaktaphile.com)) makes it interesting.  Might get some good stuff with
it.  Fascinated that Bausch & Lomb licensed the Tessar.  Got the piece
from Igor Reznick (Igorcamera) who said it was "nonworking" -- but it is
working.  For now.  Its a real Model T -- like the Speed, the focal plane
shutter is not self-capping, and the mirror is the capper -- you have to
manually recock the mirror before you wind it.  Graflex was of course
once part of Kodak (til trust-Bustin Teddy got in there) -- and as the
National is 120, I wonder why the Medalist wasn't?

Its not always about quality, or I'd not have bought my Praktisix.....
Plus, if you ck out my HARD CORE: MARGINALIZED BY CHOICE, you'll see how
I use wierd curiosity pieces to get otherwise difficult shots.  The NGII
fits right in there, in the illustrious company of my Super Ikonta, IIIa
Leica, Edixamat, and Retina II.

Had an experience this morning.  Near my house is a copse I pass on way
to work.  For 6 or 7 months each year, I have been able to see that there
was an early 60s T-bird abandoned in there.  Never stopped.  Today I
stopped to grab a few shots.

In front of the T bird is a derelict 34 Studebaker.  VERY derelict.

Good pictures.

Peter Nebergall