[rollei_list] Re: INFO REQUEST

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "New Rollei List" <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 08:28:40 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter J Nebergall" <iusar4s@xxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, April 03, 2006 6:35 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: INFO REQUEST

Any way of running the numbers to see what is on my NGII?
Peter Nebergall

  Do you mean B&L serial numbers? If so, I have a partial
solution to the old (pre 1941) serial numbers, which were
multi-digit numbers like Zeiss. What I think is that each
type of lens had its own serial number series. That is,
Micro lenses, photographic lenses, projection lenses, etc.
  I have a list of dates for micro lenses. The person who
sent these to me thought they covered all B&L lenses but
they are way out of line for my lenses. Also, the post 1941
B&L numbering system catagorized lenses. These are the
serial numbers beginning with a two letter prefix. Unlike
Kodak serial numbers the prefix is not a direct date code
with a key word. Rather, the first letter indicates the year
of manufacture and the second letter the category of lens.
The year letters are not in order. I suspect that the
earlier, all numeral, serials may also have reflected in
some way the lens categories.

First Letter

Letter   Year

A 1941     G 1963     N 1962     V 1944

B 1945     H 1959     P 1958     W 1948

C 1949     J 1955     R 1954     X 1952

D 1953     K 1951     S 1950     Y 1956

E 1957     L 1947     T  1946    Z 1960

F 1961     M 1943     U 1942

Second Letter

Letter   Class

A 51 & 53

G 61 & 91

P 31 & 33 - Objectives only (3/17/53)

W 61 & 91

B 31 & 33

H 71

R 41 & 42

Y 41 & 42

C 21

K 31 & 33

S 51 & 53

Z 51 & 53

D 31 & 33

L 31 & 33

T 61 & 91

E 41 & 42

M 31 & 33 - Gratings only (1/2/53)

U 61 & 91

F 51 & 53

N 31 & 33 - Micro

V 61 & 91

Class Designation

21 ??

31 Microscopes, microtomes, accessories

33 Colorimeters, refractometers, saccharimeters,
spectroscopes, spectrometers

41 Balopticons (projectors)

42 Photomicrographic equipment, micro-projectors,
accessories

51 Photographic lenses

53 ??

61 Binoculars, spotting telescopes

71 ??

81 Magnifiers

91 ??

  For example I have a small motion picture objective made
for gun cameras. B&L Balter, 35mm, f/2.3 Serial No. KF 8427

K = 1951, F = Photographic lenses.

  Many WW-2 and later B&L lenses also have colored dots on
them. For instance, this lens has a yellow dot and a purple
dot. I have no idea what these signify although its likely
that one of them means the lens is coated.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx