[rollei_list] Re: INFO REQUEST

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2006 18:43:57 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Marc James Small" <msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, April 02, 2006 2:58 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: INFO REQUEST

At 03:17 PM 3/31/06 -0800, Richard Knoppow wrote:

   The B&L Tessar was built originally under license from
Zeiss but, by the time of the National Graflex, B&L had a
modified design of their own. In general, B&L made good
lenses but I have no personal experience with the B&L
Tessar.

I don't know where my mind was when I posted this. I do have a couple of B&L Tessars. B&L serial numbers remain a mystery but these appear to have been made in the late 1920's or early 1930's. They no longer say B&L-Zeiss but still have the Zeiss patent date. I also have an early B&L Series V wide angle Protar. Both of the Tessars are very respectible lenses. One is for 8x10 with a FL of about 11-1/2 inches, the other for 5x7, FL about 7-3/4 inches. The Protar is for 8x10 an is about 7" FL. The Protar has some scratches which probably lower its contrast a little. It is reasonably sharp.
B&L Tessars were offered on Speed Graphics as an alternative the the usual Zeiss Tessar, but one could also special order a number of other lenses from various manufacturers.
As far as I can tell B&L was a quality concious company although they probably did not have the technical resources of Zeiss.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx