[rollei_list] Re: "I prefer simplicity and ease of use..." (was: Not My Definition of a Thoroughbred (Re: Nikon vs. Leica))

  • From: Marc James Small <msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 21:13:14 -0400

At 06:03 PM 4/13/05 -0700, Jim Somberg wrote:
>Excellent point, Bob, today's cameras are made as cheaply as possible,
particularly the digitals which have very few knobs and dials and lots of
cheap electronics. Even my F100 suffers by comparison to even my FE.

ARGH!  Economic realities have ensured that EVERY camera ever made was made
as cheaply as possible.  A manufacturer determines its target audience and
then produces a camera to fit the needs of that niche, and produces this AS
CHEAPLY AS POSSIBLE.  This is as true for the 1925 Leica A or the 1935
Rolleiflex Standard or the 1955 Contax III or the 1965 Icarex BM as it is
for today's wares.

There is no shame in this practice.  It is just the way the world works.
Produce a product for the lowest cost possible and sell it for the highest
price possible.=20

Economists describe this process, in their inimitable technical language,
as "doing business".

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx=20
Cha robh b=E0s fir gun ghr=E0s fir!