[rollei_list] Here's my excuse. What's yours?

  • From: "Allan Derickson" <alland435@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2010 15:27:00 -0700

For owning so many cameras, that is.

I am blessed with a lovely tolerant wife who never questions my acquisitions
(well maybe just the slightest hint of a raised eyebrow).  Her biggest
concern is the clutter of photographic gear around the house.  I'm devising
ways of dealing with that with cabinets and boxes. But I've finally figured
out why I need to have several cameras of more or less the same type: to be
loaded with different kinds of film.

Our local Filipino-American community had a little event called Santacruzan
a few weeks ago.  It has a religious background but it's basically an excuse
to have some young pretty girls all dressed up parade around and have a
feast later.  Seemed like a great opportunity for some nice photos.  My
Rollei 3.5F was loaded with black & white and I wanted color. My Automat had
a fresh roll of Astia and I wanted to try it anyway. The event was in the
late afternoon of a clear sunny day.  Part of the route was in open shade so
I knew I would need some color correction filters. But the last part was in
full low-angle sun and it was going to be challenging dealing with the
contrast.

So I slap on a R5 filter for the shady part, take a meter reading and add
half a stop.  As the procession starts a lot of dads are getting in the way
as they take pics of their daughters. I'm constantly changing position and
adjusting focus.  At a nominal ISO 64 I don't have a lot of DOF or a high
enough shutter speed.  As they move into the sun I remember to remove the
filter and take a meter reading. I only got a couple of decent shots out of
the roll. I had several slightly out of focus and some blurred by camera
movement.

Now what I really needed was another Rollei loaded with Provia 400 ready to
go. Excuse me while I go look on ebay.

Allan