[rollei_list] Hello and questions

  • From: "Yefei He" <yhe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 17:33:42 -0500

Hello, Folks,

    I'm new to the list. I'm merely a hobby photographer. I have
thought of getting a Rolleiflex SLR since picking up my first
serious camera, a Pentax ZX-5n. That's back in 1999, there's no
sign of the impending digital doom yet, and the Rolleiflex 6008i
still cost 4 grand. Well, I guess 7 years later the digital
trend benefited some of us hobbyists by bringing the prices of MF
cameras down. So I finally took the plunge and got a used 6008i-1
with the 80/2.8 Planar PQ lens, disregarding the long term
availability of 120 films. Now, the prices of the lenses don't
seem to have gone down yet:( I may stick to one lens for a while,
but I would like to get some suggestions from you experienced
folks about other lenses for the 6008i-1. I have a variety of
35mm gear, but I would like to use the Rollei as much as possible.
I think portraits will be one major area, but I also like to take
landscape shots. And, is the 6008i manageable for use in street
photography? I guess Rollei laid the easy route out for clueless
people like me by providing the EL 50/4 Distagon and 150/4 Sonnar
lenses. But of course I'm interested in more advanced stuff too.
Is the 50/4 FLE PQ a different design from the 50/4 EL? The PQ has
floating elements, maybe the EL doesn't? How about the difference
between the 150 EL and the 150 PQS in their optics? How about the
50/2.8 Super Angulon and 180/2.8 Tele-Xenar? Some say Schneider
lenses are better than Zeiss ones. Of course those two are faster
than the Zeiss ones at similar focal lengths. Man, this is going
to cost me a fortune still!

    Best Regards,

    Yefei