[rollei_list] Re: Hello (again), new Rollei TLR

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 13:07:43 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ardeshir Mehta" <ardeshir@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, April 29, 2005 12:25 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Hello (again), new Rollei TLR

> On Friday, April 29, 2005, at 02:26  PM, Marc James Small
> wrote:
>
>> My heavens, Jerry!
>>
>> Learn to estimate exposure.  Sunny 16 rules!
>>
>> Don't need no steenken' meter!
>>
>> Marc
>
> Darn right, Marc! I do have a Weston Master II but hardly
> ever use it,
> even for Velvia 50, and DEFINITELY not for B&W. My
> exposures are almost
> always spot-on. When I feel doubtful, I take two shots
> with different
> exposures of the same subject, and thereby make up for it.
>
> Cheers.
>

> Ardeshir <http://homepage.mac.com/ardeshir>

   Beware of two problems with Weston meters: The first is
that the angle of view is very wide. This may give you false
readings when outdoors if you are not careful to avoid too
much sky in the reading. When used for close reflection
readings they are very good.
   The second problem is with older meters calibrated in
Weston speeds. While these translate to the next higher
ISO/ASA speed the calculator seems to have been designed to
remove a safety factor in the speeds. I have several Weston
meters all with good cells. All underexpose if the Weston
equivalent of an ISO speed is entered. I find they are right
on when half the speed is entered. What I suspect is that
for some reason Weston put a 2X safety factor in their
speeds and then took it out again in the calculator. I have
no idea why this might have been done.
  The Weston speed system was the first independant speed
rating available. Speeds were measured by Weston and
published periodically in a booklet. Previous speed methods
were such that they could easily be fudged by the
manufacturer usually indicating the film was faster than it
was. A number of other meter manufacturers adopted the
Weston speed system. The exception was General Electric. I
have never seen a description of the GE speed method. Older
GE meters calibrated in the GE speeds should be set for the
next higher number than the ISO speed. There doesn't seem to
be any juggling of values in the calculators. Both Weston
and GE meters are capable of giving accurate exposure
information provided the cells are OK. The usual symptom of
a bad cell is low readings at the high end of the scale.
Weston meters are easy to test because the same light level
can be read at both the top and the low end of the scale.
The values should be very close. Bad cells typically read
about a stop low at the high end.
---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA