[rollei_list] Re: Heads & QR

  • From: "John Wild" <JWild@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2008 11:32:58 +0100

Thor,

Like Ferdi, I use a Manfrotto geared head but mine is the 405 It sits on
a older version of the Manfrotto MN475 Pro Geared Tripod. It is great
for my SL66, 6008 and xAct. It allows precise movement in three planes
but it is comparatively slow to use if people or movement are involved.
I have a Manfrotto MN322RC2 Heavy Duty Grip Action Ball Head on a
Manfrotto MN458B Neotec Tripod which is ideal for trekking, quick
alignment and following action. It holds my SL66 with 250mm lens. The
friction is adjustable and because of the grip action, I never let go of
the assembly whilst adjusting it. The grip gives very quick and precise
alignment. They also make a MN222 Joystick Grip Action Head but I feel
that this is designed for a light camera because the leverage on the
ball action is much greater and the camera eyepiece moves much further
when adjusting it because the increased distance between the ball and
lens axis.

John