[rollei_list] Re: Have the hackers found this list?

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 07:40:14 -0700

At 09:29 AM 6/23/2005, you wrote:

On the old RUG digest a string of nonsense letters like this indicated
a virus sent to  the list. I thought this was impossible with Freelist.
What happened?

Bob Marvin

On Thursday, June 23, 2005, at 12:02  AM, Peter K ALLEGEDLY  wrote:

WWVzLCBidXQgdGhlcmUgYXJlIFJvbGxlaSBTdGFuZGFyZCwgTmV3IFN0YW5kYXJkLCBNWC1

This is the new trend, an attempt to prevent spam filters from picking up messages that have a lot of random text in them.

There is no way to find out how any name got on the list, it could have been obtained and sold in bulk some time ago. I have been on line for a long time and apparently my name is on many spam lists. I don't know a solution, even Congress can't figure out a way to stop it because the spammers rent an email address, replace it with a forged "from" address, and move on.

I used to try to report all spam to the right agencies, but now I just delete them. My system puts 95% of them in a junk mail box, which I scan quickly to see if there are any good short messages, then I just empty them as a batch. Takes 1 minute. I average 30-50 each day, more on weekends.

DAW

Don Williams
La Jolla, CA