[rollei_list] Re: Harrison and Harrison filters

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,<rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 20:08:43 -0400

At 11:45 AM 5/15/2007, Robert Lilley wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I just received the bayonet II to series VI adaptor, a series VI lens hood
>and six series VI filters from Harrison and Harrison.  These are for my
>Rollei 3.5F.  The adaptor and hood are very well made.  However, at first
>blush, the filters look rather "industrial" as they probably are - the movie
>industry.  Some of the filters have their name/number stamped right on the
>filter glass itself.  I guess the nomenclature will be hidden once screwed
>into the adaptor.  The filters are not coated, but I knew that at time of
>order.  The price for the package was very inexpensive compared to B+W, etc.

Rob

First, aren't you REALLY impressed with the quality of the adapters? If you'd ever used Kenko adapter rings, you would understand how wonderful these rings are. They LAST. Kenko rings die in a year or three. H&H adapters just go on and on.

Second, H&H makes great filters but they are neither coated nor dyed-in-the-mass. I almost never use filters, so H&H to me is simply a producer of lens hoods, though I have ended up owning a LOT of their filters as I have cleaned out a lot of the estates of professional photographers, all of whom seem to have used H&H filters, back in the day.

If I REALLY need a filter -- color film in shade, say -- I would probably opt for a Rolleiflex or Heliopan or B+W filter: the last two do market Series VI filters, by the way. But H&H filters are great and the price cannot be beat.

My experience with Hoya filters is that they are junk filters in junk mounts, but that was twenty years or so back, and their current production may be better. Check it out for yourself.

Tiffen seems to have lost the edge in recent years.

In my estimation, H&H is the finest mix of price and quality you will find in today's market.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!