[rollei_list] Re: Happy MLK Day

  • From: "Neil Gould" <neil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 08:04:41 -0800

Hi all,

Just coming off a bout with some virus or other that kept me
bedridden for the last few days... what a bunch of messages
to consume!

Not to pick on you, Austin, but your post has summed up some
of the messages presented by the "opposition" and presented
an entry point for comment.

Austin replied:
> Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 16:27:36 -0500
>
> Hi Rob,
>
>> Having said that I would say this particular inauguration
was an
>> 'event' of the 'People' rather than a person or a party.
>
> I'd have to disagree.  I found it offensive that a lot of
> "entertainers"
> are given a stage at a political event like this.  Who the
f is Opera
> Winfrey?  No one elected her to squat.  It was a circus
more than an
> inauguration IMO.  Tom Hanks?  Why is he being given a
podium during a
> presidential inauguration?  Obama is being treated as a
"rock star",
> and that, to me, as well as the blubbering and drooling
over him, is
> offensive.

This was a big day for the U.S.A. Perhaps the single most
significant validation of our ideals in the history of the
country. After centuries of rhetoric, we finally met the
test presented by our underlying principles, and having done
so, forever changed the potential for all citizens of this
country. As I was unable to watch much beyond the oath of
office (back to bed to sweat it out), I may have been saved
from some of the contributors that have offended you so, but
those that preceded the swearing in seemed quite appropriate
for this event. It is understandable that those of
"priveledge" due to circumstances of birth may not "get it",
but this inauguration is cause for great celebration, as
some of our contributors from other countries have remarked.

That said, I agree with you that the status of sports
figures and entertainers is frequently out of balance with
their typical contributions to society.

As for Obama's "o-ration", speeches, etc., one hears what
one wants. As I heard it for the last couple of years, the
content of his message involved instilling certain
principles, such as transparency of government, removal of
influence by lobbyists, clear adherence to the rule of law
and reestablishing science as a basis for decision-making.
As the proof of the pudding is in the eating, one has only
to look at the selection of cabinet officers and his
Presidential Orders given on day one to know that, indeed,
change has come.

> Obama comes across as a decent guy, a little
> haughty and elitist, [...]
I really don't understand this perspective. As one of very
few citizens to become President, he certainly has become
one of an "elite" few. But, other than that, his social
status would hardly warrant such a label.

Best regards,

Neil