[rollei_list] Re: Happy MLK Day

  • From: "Peter K." <peterk727@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 08:50:35 -0800

Marvin,

As a long time Toastmaster and one who has done a good deal of public
speaking, the art of public speaking is to know you audience and get ALL
your points across. You paint a picture, use a theme if you can, use simple
language, and draw emotions. BO did this very well. He is a very good
speaker and knows how to engage an audience.

As to what people remember, the max is 5 items based on a Bell Labs study
from the 1940s. This is why the old phone numbers read like Elgin 1 -2345.
"Elgin 1" was considered one item (or number) followed by 4 others. This of
course has changed with tel numbers being all numeric nowadays.

Peter K

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 7:08 AM, <marvin0@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Someone mentioned that Obama's speeches are light on content. I would like
> to mention that effective public speaking is often just making one or two
> points, since that's all the average Joe can handle.
> Marvin-a wannabe public speaker

Peter K
Ó¿Õ¬