[rollei_list] Re: Happy MLK Day

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 13:14:52 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Marc James Small" <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, January 19, 2009 5:06 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Happy MLK Day

At 07:40 PM 1/19/2009, marvin0@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>I should have added Europe is highly unlikely to elect a man of colour >to a leading position,"regardless of talent". At least the Americans
>practice what they preach.

Thanks, Marvin.  Whether you agree with his
policies or his oratorical style (much form,
little substance), there is no question that
Obama is a VERY talented individual who promises
much.  Race played almost no role in the
election, although there were some Blacks who
might otherwise have voted for McCain and, of
course, a bunch of hardcore Whites who just could
never vote for a Black.  But these were minor
parts of the equation we saw unfold last November.

US Blacks have been slowly turning Republican as
they have increased in economic clout.  US
Hispanics are also starting to do the same.

The history of race relations in the US is
fascinating but poorly understood even by our own
citizens.  I wish our schools taught it more clearly.

Marc

Yesterday CSPAN re-ran a talk Obama made in NYC at a book signing in 2004. I think if you see this (likely to be repeated several times) that you would change your mind that Obama's speeches are all style and little substance. I think this may be more true of his campaign speeches, probably delibrately.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA