[rollei_list] Re: Happy MLK Day

  • From: Robert Meier <robertmeier@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 09:05:28 -0600 (CST)

The figures are from CNN exit polls:

Voter demographics
The following statistics are based on exit polls taken on November 4.

SOCIAL GROUPS AND THE PRESIDENTIAL VOTE, 2008

Size
Obama
McCain
Other
Party

Democratic
39%
89%
10%
1%
Independent
29%
52%
44%
4%
Republican
32%
10 %
89%
1%
Ideology

Liberal
22%
89%
10%
1%
Moderate
44%
60%
39%
1%
Conservative
34%
20%
78%
2%
Race

Black
13%
95%
4%
1%
Hispanic
9%
67%
31%
2%
White
74%
44%
55%
2%
Asian
2%
62%
35%
3%
Other
3%
66%
31%
3%
Sex

Female
53%
56%
43%
1%
Male
47%
49%
48%
3%
Religion

Protestant
54%
45%
54%
1%
Catholic
27%
54%
45%
1%
Jewish
2%
78%
21%
1%
Other
6%
73%
22%
5%
None
12%
75%
23%
2%
Military Background

Yes
15%
44%
54%
2%
No
85%
54%
44%
2%
Family Income

Less than $15,000
6%
73%
25%
2%
$15,000–$29,999
12%
60%
37%
3%
$30,000-$49,999
19%
55%
43%
2%
$50,000-$74,999
21%
48%
49%
3%
$75,000-$99,999
15%
51%
48%
1%
$100,000-$149,999
14%
48%
51%
1%
$150,000-$199,999
6%
48%
50%
2%
Greater than $200,000
6%
52%
46%
2%
Education

No High School
4%
63%
35%
2%
H.S. Graduate
20%
52%
46%
2%
Some College
31%
51%
47%
2%
College Graduate
28%
50%
48%
2%
Postgraduate Study
17%
58%
40%
2%
Union Membership

Union Member
12%
59%
39%
3%
Non-Union Member
88%
51%
47%
2%
Age

18–29 years old
18%
66%
32%
2%
30-44 years old
29%
52%
46%
2%
45–64 years old
37%
50%
49%
1%
65 years or older
16%
45%
53%
2%
Region

Northeast
21%
59%
40%
1%
South
32%
45%
54%
1%
Midwest
24%
54%
44%
2%
West
23%
57%
40%
3%
Sexual Orientation

Heterosexual
96%
53%
45%
2%
Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual
4%
70%
27%
3%
Gun Ownership

Gun Owner in Household
42%
37%
62%
1%
No Gun Owner in Household
58%
65%
33%
2%
Bush Approval

Approve
27%
10%
89%
1%
Disapprove
71%
67%
31%
2%
Source: CNN Exit poll [176]

On Jan 20, 2009, at 12:07 AM, Marc James Small wrote:

At 12:34 AM 1/20/2009, Robert Meier wrote:
>Both figures are from Wikipedia.

Thank you. A Wikipedia article which does not cite a further source is not acceptable as evidence of anything, I fear.

In any event, my principal point was that US Blacks have, since 1950, been becoming more inclined to vote Republican. That has to be viewed in the context of all elections over a period of decades. A single election proves nothing: Roanoke, Virginia, long had a Black Republican mayor who regularly got 70% or more of the Black vote but that is an extraordinary circumstance and proves little save that Noel was much loved and respected by most of the citizens of that fine town. This past Presidential election was also singular, and you cannot build a case on a single instance.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!