[rollei_list] Re: Handheld or tripod?

  • From: Jim Brick <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2010 09:44:32 -0700

I use a tripod 99.9% of the time. The .1% non-use is of my kids/ grandkids/etc, Christmas/birthday/gatherings/etc. Everything you see at:

www.photomojo.org/vip.swf

and all galleries, is with tripod. I like to make large prints and there is no way to do that with a hand held camera. Every once in a while you can get lucky (sun, moon, & stars are aligned properly) but generally speaking (and 50 years of experience) hand holding is good for small prints (11x14 and smaller) and computer viewing. Using a Rollei TLR or Leica M, and practicing breath/heart beat control, you can do pretty well, so you could get a higher ratio of larger printable results.

I have a Leica R7 and Leica M6. The R7 lives on a tripod, the M6 is used (when used) handheld. And I have some good 16x20's from the handheld M6. But the planets were indeed aligned. I hear people say "I get fantastic results hand holding my camera" which indeed may be true. But they probably never print larger than 8x10. It's also amazing how differently people perceive sharpness. Maybe it is their eyesight. I have 20:15 vision and everything in the world is crispy sharp, therefore my photographs need to be crispy sharp.

Image stabilization (lenses & cameras) and mirror-less (in the image path) cameras do help.

But I have to admit, I'm an absolute nut over absolute sharpness. Ergo... tripod!

IMHE,

Jim

On Sep 25, 2010, at 8:26 AM, Kenneth Frazier wrote:

Listers,

Inquiring minds want to know:

Any idea of your ratio of handheld to tripod shots?

And, any comments you might have about your results handheld or tripod mounted.

Ken

The Rev. Ken Frazier
First Congregational Church
Waterbury, CT  06702