[rollei_list] HFT: Braunschweig Only

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 12:22:36 -0400

At 12:16 PM 8/10/2010, CarlosMFreaza wrote:

>I suspect that most lenses made by Carl Zeiss for Rollei cameras
>received the "HFT" engraving on the lens ring instead of "T*", there
>is no doubt Carl Zeiss Oberkochen  made a lot of lenses for the
>SL35/2000/3000 QBM Rollei mount, for the Rollei SL 66/E/SE and for the
>Rollei SLX-6000 cameras with the term "HFT" and not "T*", CZ even made
>the Planar 2.8/80 for the Rolleiflex 2.8F "Platin" TLR camera
>engraving the term "HFT" and not "T*" on the lens ring.
>These are some samples about exotic lenses made by CZ Oberkochen for
>Rollei SLR 35mm cameras like the Carl Zeiss 15mm f3.5 Auto HFT
>Distagon and similars with the term "HFT" and not "T*":

Carlos

I am unaware of ANY "HFT" lenses made by CZ at Oberkochen, and Zeiss literature denies this rather strongly. HFT was a proprietary trademark of Rollei and was not a Zeiss mark, so they would have had no right to use it. The serial numbers on HFT lenses are not in the Carl Zeiss lens sequence: they are in a unique-to-Rollei sequence.

The Zeiss folks have done extensive research in this, and absolutely no evidence has ever been found that any HFT lenses were produced by Carl Zeiss at Oberkochen on a series basis.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!