[rollei_list] Good E6 developing in Europe?

  • From: Thor Legvold <tlegvold@xxxxxx>
  • To: rolleiusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2014 11:04:08 +0200

I’d like to know if anyone on this side of the pond can recommend a good lab
for E6.

I sent a single test roll via a local lab to CeWe in Germany and was
disappointed, the slides looked flat and slightly muddy. Usually my exposures
are pretty accurate, but it may be that this particular roll wasn’t shot as
well as it could have been. I could send another test roll, but as the price of
film has increased and become harder to source, I’d like to use what I have for
shooting.

Before I send any more rolls off, I wanted to know whate experience fellow list
members have and where they achieve consistently good development.

At some point I may try my hand at E6 in the Jobo I acquired, but for that I’ll
need a water temperature control panel and other item’s I’m not prepared to
purchase now (unless I find a real bargain somewhere).

Years ago I worked in a lab myself, and from what I remember the two most
important things to maintain predictable quality is temperature control and a
continuous run of film, i.e. over days/weeks. That makes it wasier to replenish
chemicals consistently and keep everything stable. From what I’ve heard about
CeWe, they’re only developing a few days a week now, although that may be the
case for every lab these days as the rush to digital continues.

Looking forward to hearing any experiences.

Cheers,
Thor