[rollei_list] Re: Fw: SL 2000 F - and my attitude about it

  • From: John Wild <JWild@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2015 09:50:16 +0000

Peter,

As mentioned elsewhere in this thread, NimH cells are now the better substitute
for NiCds because they have less memory effect and hold a charge longer when
not used for a period.

Not a problem with the 2000/3000 but my 6008i does not like NimH because, I
guess they cannot provide the instant high current draw of a NiCd. The display
in the viewfinder says the battery pack is fully charged but on releasing the
shutter, the wind motor ‘grinds’ slowly and the display says “CHARGE”. Once the
motor stops, the pack registers fully charged once more. This happens with both
the NimH packs that I have. Possibly the camera electronics need adjusting or
the cells that are installed in the pack are not the right rating. The packs
are fine with a 6003 and 6006, where the current draw is less.

I find I use both viewfinders equally on my 3003. The camera, although bulky –
and some may say, uncomfortable for a 35mm, is well thought out and is not
dissimilar to handling a TLR or 6000.

Carlos may well correct me but the 2000 were made in Singapore and when that
plant closed, the 3003 was assembled using many 2000 parts in Germany by the
new Rollei company. They desperately tried to sell the 3003 and I bought a
‘specially’ priced kit including 35, 50, 135 and 200mm lenses. Similarly kits
were available with the 6002 and 6006 for the same reason. I have heard on the
grapevine that rather than flooding the market with reduced price 3003 cameras,
which would degrade the Rollei name, thousands of cameras were destroyed so
they could not appear on the market.

John

On 15/12/2015 17:20, "Peter Mattei" <petermattei@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

John,

Thank you! I pulled the old batteries out prior to storage; however, I'm
almost certain that I was using the standard alkaline "AA" cells. NiCad? I
have the charger and a cold-weather remote battery pack as well, so I should
really go find some "AA" NiCad's. I used this camera solely to use the 16mm
Distagon due to the flip-up viewer screen.

Thanks.

On 15 December 2015 at 07:42, John Wild <JWild@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Peter,

That will undoubtedly be something to do with the rerchargeable pack or the
contacts between the pack and the camera. NiCds do not last long, especially if
left in a rundown state (they self discharge – faster as they get older) and,
even if not turned on, the point contacts on the camera which press on the
spring plates on the battery pack corrode and pit. These two problems are the
most likely cause of being “completely dead”.

As a general point, standard 1.5v disposable cells should not be used because
the output voltage is 7.5v from 5 cells. The camera is designed for 5 x 1.2v
rechargeable cells giving 6v output – this is a common error when using the
scarce uncelled battery pack.

See my article on P 12 of CRU Issue 34:

http://rollei.org.uk/club-rollei-user-issue-34/

John

On 15/12/2015 15:17, "Peter Mattei" <petermattei@xxxxxxxxx
<http://petermattei@xxxxxxxxx> > wrote:

Reed,

If you find a repair station for the 2000, please let us all know. I had a
relatively new one a few years ago but put it way alongside several Sl 35E's.
It was in perfect working condition and was ideal for the matching 16mm
Distagon. However, when I pulled it out to use it on a whim, it was - and is -
completely dead.

Peter