[rollei_list] Fw: Re: Re: Rollei 35S, SE

  • From: Peter J Nebergall <iusar4s@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 08:50:05 -0700

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: Peter J Nebergall <iusar4s@xxxxxxxx>
To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 09:37:47 -0700
Subject: Re: [rollei_list] Re: Rollei 35S, SE

I just had an Elmar do that!

And, I have a Tessar 80 2.8 uncoated (super Ikonta B) that blows the
doors of all my other 6x6cm cameras...

PJ Nebergall

Another question:  I have a new book of text and photos by Richard
Schultes, who spent decades in the Amazon basin with a Rolleiflex -- but
Wade Davis, his reviewer, seems to think his Automat (we're talking 40's
and early 50's) was f2.8.  When were the first f2.8 lenses mounted on a
Rolleiflex?

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 14:40:04 +0000 aghalide@xxxxxxx writes:
sometimes it ain't the fault 0f the lens. This applies to non-rollei
lenses as well. Many moons ago I  purchased a Kodak Medalist 6x9 to go
along with my stable of Rolleis. Again, I reference Schwalberg, the maven
of Wetzlar. We breakfast and lunched almost every day from 1972 to 1985
or so, when we officed at 1 Park Ave " at Popular Photograhy. I wish I
had my tape recorder going, but instead I must rely on memories.
According to Bopp or as known by non-Wetzlar people, Bob, Kodak's best
lens is the 100mm f/3.5 Ektar on the Medalist. "it's a great Tessar", I
remember him saying. My new-old Medalist Ektar was a bit foggy. I brought
it to Professional Camera Repair in NYC. Marty handed it to Buddy for
cleaning. Got it back in about one-week. Every thing took one week,
unless it was an overnight and the photographer was going to Selma or
whereever the next day. I remember Marty repairing cameras  used by
photographers documenting the March for free. I got the M edalis t back
the next week and then ran a roll of 120 (I had it changed from 620 to
120 by the Bald Mountain guys. Wide open it wasn't so good. Could
Schwalberg be wrong? Could that Tesssar-type lens be not so good?
A few months later I stuck my finger inside the back of the camera and
found  the rear elements were loose. Could Buddy have not tightened it
all the way in? So I did. And the frog became a Prince.  This could be
the case with Xenars, Xenotars, Planars and even Tessars.  Ed Meyers