[rollei_list] Re: Ford motor and Rolleiflex

  • From: Slobodan Dimitrov <s.dimitrov@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 17:28:52 -0800

That's just my own minimum standard with 120 film. Handling its cast issues is the first order of business. Everything else after that is just personal preference.

Slobodan Dimitrov
http://www.sdimitrovphoto.com/

On Dec 6, 2006, at 4:25 PM, Carlos Manuel Freaza wrote:

Slobodan, I answer you with one of the first comments
that I received for these five photographs with my
original adjustment (I could quote others too), I have
the evidence that the person that wrote the comment is
an excellent photographer from all point of view and
he read about Ansel Adams very much too, he wrote last
Sunday about these five photographs:

"...Carlos,

Slide film is great - really brings out the character
of the lens. I
like the light in these Carlos, espcially this one:
http://
www.flickr.com/ photos/itarfoto/ 312393395/ You got
the metering spot
on! Nice shots...."

All the best
Carlos

--- Slobodan Dimitrov <s.dimitrov@xxxxxxxxxxx>
escribió:

That kind of correction is best handled during the
exposure. It's
kind of like what Adams said about printing on
anything but a grade
2, one must of screwed up somewhere along the way
before the neg got
to the darkroom. In this case the scanner.

Slobodan Dimitrov
http://www.sdimitrovphoto.com/

On Dec 6, 2006, at 2:41 PM, Carlos Manuel Freaza
wrote:

Slobodan, if you are talking about me, I handle
the PS
colors controls from the earlier PS versions for
Mac;
as I commented in one of my posts, I had a version
with less blue and I preferred the version with
more
blue, I did not perceive the blue like excess, I
liked
the photographs that way, with more blue.
You considered there was a blue excess and you did
different adjustment that I also liked, it was
different but it does not mean I don't like my
original adjustment, those five photographs with
the
original adjustment are receiving a lot of visits
in
Flickr.

All the best
Carlos

 --- Slobodan Dimitrov <s.dimitrov@xxxxxxxxxxx>
escribió:

I would agree up to up to a point. Contravening
reality is what
photography can be about. But in this case, since
we
drifted this
far, it only shows a lack of knowledge of
mechanical
controls over
the emulsion.

Slobodan Dimitrov
http://www.sdimitrovphoto.com/

On Dec 6, 2006, at 11:19 AM, Eric Goldstein
wrote:

I think these comments don't deal with the
fundamental roll of the
photographer. It is irrelevant what the original
light in the scene
was. If the photographer wants to depict a scene
as reality, then any
light he presents that is plausible will work
for
the reasons Jim
describe. If the photographer wants to present a
more dramatic
depiction which aesthetically departs from
reality, then he can go
blue or orange or violet or yellow, as long is
it
works. Yes, the
image must stand on its own, but plausibility is
not necessarily the
point...

Take a look at the racing series recently
published in Studio
Photography:

http://www.imaginginfo.com/publication/article.jsp?pubId=3&id=2113

I am not holding this series up as a paragon of
excellence, but merely
as an example of a clear departure from reality
and plausibility which
works creatively.

As for Jim's statement that the shots are way
too
blue, that they must
be corrected, and that all observers will agree
with his
pronouncement, I say Jim, I and some others on
this list are living
proof that you are wrong! This is a matter of
taste and opinion, not
absolute judgment.

Eric Goldstein

--

On 12/6/06, Slobodan Dimitrov
<s.dimitrov@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Yep, I have to agree with that. Living in South
Cal. is a bear on
contrast control. If onbe has to be there to
explain the image, for
quality or content, then that image has failed.
successful print is
a stand alone print. Unless it's an essay, and
even then....

Slobodan Dimitrov
http://www.sdimitrovphoto.com/

On Dec 6, 2006, at 9:49 AM, Jim Brick wrote:

At 07:33 PM 12/5/2006 -0300, Carlos Manuel
Freaza wrote:

but the things were blue that afternoon
really.-

Carlos

Carlos,

As a photographer, you have to realize that
the
people looking at
your photographs were not/are not at the place
and time that the
photograph was made. People are simply looking
at your photographic
result. You cannot, therefore, always exhibit
photographs in the
same 'light' that they were taken. While in a
situation, such as
deep shade, one's brain does a marvelous job
of
correcting colors
and densities so that things look reasonably
normal. Take a
photograph under these circumstances, using
color film, will result
in photographs with a bluish cast. When you
look at the resulting
photographs, your brain may see it as you took
it. Show it to some
who was not there, thus having no frame of
reference, that person
will say "the photographs are way too blue."

Take photographs of sunrises, sunsets, night
street scenes,
interiors, people have -in their mind- what
color these photographs
should be and therefore everything is pretty
much OK.

Your originals are way too blue Carlos.
Correction is absolutely
necessary before showing your Ford motor
photographs to people
other than yourself. Slobodan is correct.

Eighty percent of my photography is color
transparency. And nearly
100% of that I print on Cibachrome. Living on
the coast of
California, much of my photography is along
the
ocean (many times
overcast or foggy) and in the deep redwood
forest. Often very cool
in color temperature. Rather than correcting
in
my enlarger, I
correct on the film by using filters ranging
from KR1.5 to KR6. I
also teach photography (one-on-one private
students and workshops)
therefore the transparencies that I project
must be corrected.

=== message truncated ===

Correo Yahoo!