[rollei_list] Re: Ford motor and Rolleiflex

  • From: Laurence Cuffe <cuffe@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 13:12:20 -0500

On 11 Dec 2006, at 10:02, Mark Rabiner wrote:

On 12/11/06 8:47 AM, "Laurence Cuffe" <cuffe@xxxxxxx> typed:

On Monday, December 11, 2006, at 07:09AM, "Mark Rabiner"
<mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 12/7/06 11:07 AM, "Jim Brick" <jim@xxxxxxxxx> typed:

Sirs:
As Harry Chapin put it:
And she said...
Flowers are red young man
Green leaves are green
There's no need to see flowers any other way
Than they way they always have been seen

All the best
Larry Cuffe

Yes I'm all for free love and people having their own opinions and a sense
of humor
But there is a certain extent in a color print where this just ain't true.
There is such a thing in the color printing world as "a bad print".
And Emperor with no clothes on a chat list it seems.
Show that image to 100 custom color printers and all 100 custom color
printers will tell its way way blue. Not 99. Well ok some will say three ways. Some one "way". I think the average points blue they will say will be
around 10. Some will say 20. A few may say as little as 7.
So much for objective vs. subjective reality in color printing opinion's. After you've done it awhile professedly you realize you have to stop BS'ing
yourself and do them ALL good.
And Not just call the bad ones your OWN opinion.

Peace love Woodstock

Mark Rabiner

I see two issues here: 1) Tecknical competence. I find it much easier to look at Picaso's later work because I've seen his early work and know that a result which looks sloppy and crude is intentional rather than incompetent. So Look at this, its blue! I take with a grain of salt, whereas Look at this, I underexposed on purpose to saturate the colors, I'm more comfortable with.

I didn't find the color pallete of the original images disturbing, it coresponded to my impresion of late afternoon sunlight with the subject lit predominently by skylight. I liked the corrected image too, but it struck me as being a bit too "kodaky" normalizing the image to a color range more typical of a noonday sun.

2) the sensitized eye: Once you understand an effect, it often removes or inverts the magic of the image. Waves of purple fields of lavender in provence loose much of their magic once you interpret them as either "they used Velvia" or "They cranked up the saturation in photoshop".
Knowledge can impoverish our appreciation of an image.

That said, demanding that all colors be balanced and uniform in every image strikes me as being close to asking that every printer do their best to emulate a machine print :- )

All the best

Larry Cuffe

New York, NY
40°47'59.79"N