[rollei_list] Re: First Post: Film advance in Rolleiflex 3.5

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 17:21:12 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Leng-Feng" <lengfenglee@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, June 27, 2012 4:56 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: First Post: Film advance in Rolleiflex 3.5

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the reply!
I have tried your test and it appears fine (without film in it), shutter can be cock and release at all focusing distance. The shutter speeds are
fine as well.
I notice that it the diaphragm dial can't go all the way to 1/500, it can only go half way between 1/250 and 1/500. This is a sign of problem?

I did put the film in the feeder roller as I read the manual and watch
youtube video on how to load the film. :)

The only problem I could recall is in the manual it say "1/500th sec - set speed first - then cock shutter", the first shot after I load the film, I did cock the shutter first then change shutter speed. But the shutter is
not at 1/500, as it can't go to 1/500 anyway.

Should I put a roll of new film in it and try it out?

Thanks for your help!

If it comes to a point where it is confirm that it need CLA, do you know any shops in the east coast can do it? I lives in western MA.

Lee

First the shutter: The older Compur shutters have a booster spring for 1/500th. Its compressed by the speed cam so you must apply some pressure to the speed setting lever to get it to move there. Also, because it needs to compress a spring it moves some distance. Don't be afraid to push on it. Its this spring which is the reason for setting the speed before cocking the shutter. If you move the lever to 1/500th after cocking there is a small chance of forcing the end of the spring under the speed cam. This requires taking the front cover off the shutter to fix. You can change other speeds or _reduce_ the speed from 1/500th to a lower speed when the shutter is cocked without any chance of damaging it. Before running film you can test the film winding mechanism by making a dummy film roll. Take an empty spool and wind some tape, like masking tape, around the core at one end. It does not have to fill the spool, a few turns is enough. Place this spool on the take-up side of the camera (the top) so that the taped section is under the toothed wheel. Next, fold a business card and push it between the feeler rollers at the bottom. It may take three thicknesses depending on the card. When you close the back of the camera it will think there is film threaded in it. You should be able to wind the crank one frame at a time. The shutter will cock and the counter will go to the next number. Trip the shutter and do it again. You should be able to do this 12 times before the camera thinks the film is finished and it begins to crank freely. This is a useful way of testing without having to waste film. It is not common for Rolleis to jam so I am concerned there is something wrong. Try this test a few times to see if you can get it to repeat the jam. If it continues to work use the camera but if it jams again it should go to a good repair person.
    I assure you that you didn't break the camera:-)
There are several very good Rollei people in the Eastern area, others here can suggest someone. I live in Los Angeles, home of Harry Fleenor, one of the very best, so I go to him.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles