[rollei_list] Re: Final Rolleiwide Rebuild update

  • From: "Allan Derickson" <alland435@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2010 15:27:37 -0700

To further gild the focusing lily I thought of the following:

Measure the "legs" which hold the pressure plate off the film rails and make
shims for the glass plate. Make up a dummy roll of film using backing paper
just at the beginning and end (like a 220 roll) and an exposed and developed
but uncut roll of film. The film could even have shots of fine detail to
focus on. Load the film and wind until a frame is in place in back of the
lens. Put the glass plate plus spacers on over the film so it serves as a
pressure plate. Now you should have setup which duplicates the actual
in-camera film environment.

   FWIW, I've used the frosted tape method. I always
wondered it was really in the right plane but if not the
difference would be very slight, probably insignificant.
   I found I can get glass etching cream at many arts and
craft shops. The stuff I got is called _Armour Etch_ not
expensive, maybe $12.00 for a small container. Its available
via the web also. It takes about a minute to make a nice,
fine grain, etched surface. I found that one must be careful
to get a very even coating on or the etching will be
irregular. I have not tried this for full size ground glass
panels yet but did make a test panel for my Nikon-F. I've
also used it to "frost" the surface of pilot lamp bulbs. The
frosting is not sufficient to take the place of "opal" lamps
as used in enlargers.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA