[rollei_list] Re: Film/Digital

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 02:06:30 -0400

At 01:54 AM 10/17/2011, william schillereff wrote:
"Film will never completely disappear, just as black-and-white never disappeared. But whatever supposed advantages you can think of for film, digital will eventually catch up and surpass it"

There are moods and shades which digital cannot touch at this point. Black and white film is an art form of its own and I doubt it will be surpassed by the electronic age. The swiftness of its growth is also the seed if its destruction because it will grow so fast those with archived images will lose them as it moves like a prairie fire. For both the professional artist and the home snapper this is tragic and has proved true at one time or another for all of us. At this point the neuances film over digital leaves electronic media and the age of mediocracy. It certainly is becoming an art form of its own and may continue in that direction for a long time. And I add, "I hope."

I'm not certain that this is true. The danger is not loss of the hardware to translate a given format as the risk of the images degrading during electronic storage, a matter solved by regular backing up of some sort. I started on computers in the punch-card days and moved up the chain along the way, and data was always transferable by some means or other. I know a couple of folks who still have working 8" floppies (remember those? They made great frisbies when times were slow at work ... ) and I keep a 3.5" in my desktop, which lacks, for that matter, a DVD deck, though my wife's desktop in the next room has one if I should ever need to use it.

People who want to take a few simple steps can ensure that their pictures will be preserved for their lifetimes. I ended up as a repository of family pictures from my mother's side of the house, so I have a large box full of faded prints in odd sizes of people probably unknown to anyone now living. (Someday in the next several years, a few of us will sit down and go over the pictures and identify who we can, and then my son will become the Deposit Holder of Record.)

Marc

It is a good world for doing good deeds.
-- Nathaniel the Faun