[rollei_list] Re: Film/Digital

  • From: Bob James <starboy0@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2011 16:25:59 -0500

Long live film!

I love the charm of the in-betweenness of analog; there is something other than
mere 1's and 0's.

I like when I put the sleeved negatives away I have something tangible to
return to.  They have just discovered all the wonderful Rollei negatives (and
undeveloped rolls) of Vivian Maier; had she shot digital what would have
remained?

Film makes me slow down and makes me think more carefully; I do not have the
infinite capability of erase and do over.

Film is a hand written letter; digital is an email.

Every time I hand load the Rolleiflex with those 120 spools, I feel the same
wonderful anticipation I felt as a boy.  How is this going to turn out?
Hmmm...  will have to be patient and wonder about it.

Not trying to offend my digital brothers who I'm sure have made more beautiful
photographs than I ever have.  Just my personal sentiments.

Bob James