[rollei_list] Re: Favorite Photo Stores (was The End of Kodachrome)

  • From: Elias Roustom <eroustom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 12:27:56 -0400

Both Adorama and B&H are great on-line stores as well.

On Jun 28, 2009, at 9:28 AM, Douglas Nygren wrote:

When I'm in New York, I usually start the day off at NYU. I usually walk from Grand Central (that is from 42nd to 4th) and go to Adorama (West 18th Street between Fifth and Sixth Avenues).
The are like B&H, but much smaller. Prices are good.
When I first started going there, the store was old and dilapitated. It had a great feel to it. The store had a divide in it. On the left was film up front, paper and chemicals. On the left were film cameras new and used, lighting and bags.
Over the last six years, the store changed dramatically.
Even before they remodeled, the left hand side of the store started to change. First ink-jet paper started to displace the photo chemicals and paper. That happened fairly quickly. The film-side of the business was in constant retreat, that is, it was constantly shrinking. It was noticeable from week to week. It got smaller and smaller. Eventually the store remodled and became sllick, modern. The left hand side of the store became dedicated to inkjet papers; the right hand side was taken over by digital cameras, pritners. Adorama still sells film, paper, chemicals. Its in a small section way back of the digital cameras. Lots of the film related chemcials and papers are still available, but they are in the basement and you have to go to a computer, find its stock number, and it will be fetched for you.

I miss the old store. I am grateful, however, that Adorama is still there. It's on my way to NYU which means I don't have to make a big detour to get over to B&H.

Doug

On Jun 27, 2009, at 7:14 PM, Mark Rabiner wrote:

Right now B&H in New York is not exactly chopped liver.
I can hang out there for an hour easy.
Its my new camera store as I'm new in this neighborhood.

The largest camera store in the world?
I think its the best.

Mark William Rabiner

From: David Sadowski <dsadowski@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2009 16:06:17 -0500
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: The End of Kodachrome

Central Camera is still there as far as I know... the last of the old
fashioned camera stores in this area.

The best camera store of all time was Altman Camera, which closed in
the 1970s. This store was like Noah's Ark- they had two of everything
made, just about.

Altman's employees wanted to form a union, so he closed the store
rather than submit to this.  I wonder if he is still living... think
his first name may have been Ralph?