[rollei_list] Re: Fair Trade Laws

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,<rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 18:09:33 -0400

At 04:28 PM 8/20/2008, Richard Knoppow wrote:

>     On the last point could not one argue the legal theory
>that the contract was illegal if it violated a principal of
>law?  Plus the issue of property rights: once a dealer pays
>the manufacturer for something does it not become his
>property?
>     As to the law about complete assemblies something
>similiar applied to sales or perhaps it was the now defunct
>excise tax

Two points.

First, the "principle" of law is that contracts are all but sanctified. I can write a lot more on this -- the history of the US Court's acceptance of that most blatant of frauds, "the minimum wage law", derives from the Courts refusal to understand that basic concept and let us hope that the current Supreme Court tosses this out as well. The Far Left legal types have been accusing the moderates of "Lochnerizing" since 1902 while they do the same themselves routinely, trusting that a US legal community trained by O W Holmes, Jr., will follow suit. As, they have, until now. This really is something different.

Excise taxes have nothing to do with this but the idea is a neat one. No, it was just a matter of the ability of a manufacturer to set the price at which its products were sold. Nothing less, nothing more.

Me? (A dative of reference, for those who care) I personally support the right of vendors to sell under McKeown's Law and dislike the power of the manufacturer to set prices in contravention to the free market. But, then, I detest the intrusion of the US government into commerce since the reign of Theodore Roosevelt. So, yes, I believe in a free market. The late Ludwig von Mises rules! In the end, legally or not, the Free Market rules.

A contract can be held to be unenforceable if it is contrary to public policy but that is a shaky basis on which to base a claim. A contract to commit a crime is unenforceable but that does not apply to contracts to violate a civil wrong in general, though a creative prosecutor can often find a way around this.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!